A good summary of myself and my research can be found at:
I have now begun my doctoral research under the title:
Using XML and Semantic Technologies to Manage Astronomy data
Initial questions that need answers are:
- What are the current different types of astronomy data and how is this data produced?
- What are the current technologies used for transferring, storing and using data?
- Is there a comprehensive existing XMLSchema for storing astronomy data, including associated semantic data?
- What data management needs have already been identified?
- Is there a comprehensive existing semantic ontology for astronomy?
- How exactly would incorporating semantic data be a help?
- Is there software available with the functionality to transform and store astronomy data according to users’ requirements, be these users human or machine.
Any information or advice is appreciated !
I only recently found out the meaning of the term Semantic Web. Basically you could call it the ‘Web plus Metadata’ and curiously enough this could be just the concept to help with my doctoral research which is titled:
A Survey of Astronomical Data Storage: Intelligent Auto-tasking of Astronomical Data Collectors to an approved XML Data Schema Standard
I shall be putting some thoughts about this on this blog in the days and weeks to come.
… looking like a change of research title is needed to become:
A Survey of Astronomical Data Storage: Intelligent Auto-tasking of Astronomical Data Collectors Using Semantic Web Ontologies
Not so much finalising the Proceedings Paper I have written, more getting all the organising for the trip done. Glad to say that the Paper is finished and sent, also am feeling fairly organised!
I am now starting to get enthusiastic about attending BIDS16 🙂
I now know that I shall be giving a poster presentation in Tenerife over the three days (15 – 17th March) of the ‘2016 Conference on Big Data from Space – BiDS’16 ‘ which is organised by ESA, SatCen, JRC.
My presentation is to be titled ‘The Benefits of using XML Technologies in Astronomical Data Retrieval and Interpretation’.
I am very much looking forward to meeting all the colleagues who are at the conference.